Saturday, July 31, 2010

A little something for your soul

It has been awhile since I have written and, once again, the time in my day evaporates with so many things that need to be done still unfinished. But I want share a little something, a gift long forgotten that I came across while going through an old box of things I had saved back in my high school and college years. It is a gift, not because someone bought it and wrapped it up for a special occasion, but rather a gift because it speaks to my heart. May it speak to yours as well.
It is part of the poem, Desiderata, written by Max Ehrmann in 1927. While the entire poem is soul-provoking, I am sharing just the final verses ...

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life
keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

(It is interesting to note that the old reprint I have of this poem had an error in it that I only discovered tonight as I looked the verse up online. Instead of "Be cheerful", my version says, "Be careful." I think, oddly enough, that I like the mistake better than the original. Be careful ... be full of care, for yourself, for others, for the universe. Our world can be a harsh and dangerous place but it is also full of beauty. Be careful.

To remind you (and me) of the abundance of beauty that has been poured out before us, I invite you to enjoy some more photos I took while walking in my neighborhood this summer. I didn't have to walk far or look hard. Beauty is there for me to drink in, if only I keep my eyes open.

(Click on the picture of the sunflower below and you will be taken away from this blog to a web album of photos I put together. Click on "slide show" in the upper left corner to watch them in that format. Hit "escape" key on your keyboard to leave the slide show. You are welcome to download any of my photos for personal use if you would like to.)
More beauty...