Sunday, December 23, 2012

winter mother


i come to the earth; she comes to me.

at first i judge her empty, barren.

where are her blossoms and seeds?













                           yet she pours out her life for me,

                           swirling and splashing joyfully

                           around the boulders of my discontent.

 
and when i am done complaining
 
(moaning that she is too cold)
 
she warms me with her sparkling smile.
 
                          she dances me through crevices
 
                          and into her palace of ice
 
                          where even shadows shine brilliant white.
 
 
come, she says, come with me.
 
enter the glory of His radiant light.
 
seek, seek the gift of endless giving.
 

 
                          in frozen wonder she teaches me...
 
                          i come to Him, He comes to me.
 
                          lovingly giving in endless praise.
 
 
 
 
I took these photos at Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis where I am visiting family. It was a place often visited during my childhood and it was exciting to see the Falls almost completely frozen. The poem was written the day after the photos were taken, as part of a "poetry party" conducted by the online Abbey I follow: http://abbeyofthearts.com/.
 
OK, I have one more photo I couldn't fit in... But let it mean this: if you are feeling alone or sad, may this picture be a reminder that we are spiritually connected to each other and therefore not truly alone. More so - our Creator does not leave us alone and has built a bridge to meet us. Christmas greetings coming soon!
 
 
 
(If you wish to see any of the photos in more detail, click on them. As always, you are welcome to download any of my photos or text for personal, nonprofit use.)