Tuesday, March 4, 2014

the prayer


(If you are having trouble viewing the text of this image from a phone or other small device, scroll down and find the content reprinted.)










































(reprint)

all of the poetry is gone from my soul

and in its place an empty crater.

it is dark here and i cannot see.

i reach to the right and to the left

but rough walls of rock surround me.

my feet search the earth below me,

seeking the site where once the fire blazed.

“repent! believe! the Kingdom is at hand!”

 voices echo from the pale light above.

reaching deep into the abandoned pit,

 i draw forth a handful of cold ashes.

 marking myself with the sign of the Savior,

the prayer in my heart begins to beat:

“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God,

have mercy on me a sinner…”



(Many blessings to you during this holy season of Lent. Let us pray with and for one another, that the prayer may change our hearts so that we can see Him once again...)